The village known as Bussana Vecchia was destroyed by an earthquake in 1887
and subsequently abandoned. The survivors moved a few kilometres downhill
and founded Bussana Nuova. In the fifties, Bussana Vecchia was a veritable
ghost town whose stone ruins stood amidst the carnations that grew on the
surrounding terraced land. In the 1960s a group of artists and craftsmen
decided to restore the village and open workshops there, breathing new life
into the old ruins. Today the town's original arts and crafts attract
many thousands of visitors a year.